
I think I'm going to miss kindergarten more than Olivia will. I loved helping out in her class each week. It made me miss teaching a little. I am so glad that I had those couple of years teaching before I had kids. I learned so much and I would be a different person if I hadn't done it--at least not as organized anyway. We made this for her teacher this year from a picture Olivia drew then I traced it and stitched it. Olivia had a great year over all and her teacher deserves a HUGE pat on the back. Teaching a room full of 20 active 5 and 6 year olds is tough. Olivia has grown up so much since the start of the school year. She's ready to move on and be a big 1st grader now. I'm going to miss her class and her teacher.
I loved kindergarten when I was there. My teacher was named Mrs. Easter. How's that for a kindergarten teacher name? Both my older brother and sister had her and so I was so excited to also have Mrs. Easter. In my eyes she was the best teacher ever. She had bright red hair, lots of freckles, really big eyes that opened disturbingly large when you were in trouble. I tried to stay out of trouble. Those eyes scared me. But I loved her.
A few years ago I actually saw her. I was visting my parents and my mom and I went up to Apple Hill. Olivia was about 2 and I was pregnant with Sammie. I was waiting in line for a bathroom and there she was. Her hair was grey and short, but her face looked exactly the same. There was no mistaking that this was my beloved teacher. I even got a little tingle of excitement when I approached her.
"Are you Mrs. Easter?" I asked like a little 5 year old.
"Yes," she said as her big eyes lit up.
"You were my teacher 20 years ago." I was so excited.
She of course remembered my family because my mom had 3 kids that had her as a teacher. We talked for just a few minutes and then parted ways. That little encounter was so sweet. Teachers are like that. They stick with you. They are forever a part of your memory for that year of your life.
Saturday, May 16, 2009
For A Wonderful Teacher
Posted by Anniebanannie at 10:56 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I LOVE it Annie and I'm coveting your creativity! Olivia drew such a cute picture. I'd LOVE to get a sweet gift like that from one of my students.
oh so so so cute. i'm impressed with olivia's artistry! what a great gift idea.
Post a Comment