Saturday, August 06, 2016

Bodie, CA

We decided to take the scenic way home from Tahoe so that we could visit the ghost town of Bodie, CA.  It was hot when we got there and I was surprised to see so many visitors.  It was a popular place that day.  It took us about 2 1/2 hours to get there from Tahoe, but the drive was very pretty.  Sammie, Joey, and Olivia, had all read the same historical fiction book that took place in Bodie, CA when it was a gold rush boom town.  So they were familiar with some of the family names that were talked about in the tour.  It was sort of an eerie place and you really got the feel for what it must have been like to live out there on a hot, dry summer, day long ago.  I love old things and it was so cool to see one house that had layers of flooring done over the years and all of the different wall coverings that were used.  Many things were left behind in the homes.  The school house looked untouched with books on the desks covered in dirt and dust.  Most of the buildings are unsafe to enter, so we mostly just looked through windows and walked the streets.  It was much bigger than I thought it was going to be.
We then continued on our long drive home while listening to a book on CD.  It felt good to get home and out of the car.  I think now, I am caught up with summer.  School is starting so soon in just a week from Wednesday.  I'm looking forward to a routine again.  It seems like as soon as we go on vacation, I don't care about anything when we get home.  We all stay up super late.  The kids watch tons of TV and play games on their kindles and sometimes breakfast is skipped, or lunch.  I've been so off since we have been home.  It seems like someone is always saying, "It's lunch time?!  But I never even ate breakfast!"  And then the same thing at dinner time, "But I never even ate lunch!"  They must be eating something during the day, I'm just not sure what it has been or when they ate it.
Like I said, I'm looking forward to a routine again.










0 comments: