Thursday, April 16, 2009

Olivia the Artist

My girls get obsessive about their play. When they get into something they REALLY get into something. They will play and play for hours at their game. Lately Olivia's obsession is drawing. A few weeks ago she was discouraged about her abilities. "My pictures just don't look like how I want them to look." I remember feeling the same way as a kid. In your your head you see a masterpiece, but somehow the end result doesn't even closely resemble what was envisioned. Not wanting her to give up, I am always giving her words of encouragement. I remind her that it takes years for someone to draw really well, but that for only 5 years old, she has an awesome imagination and she can draw SOOOO much better than when she was four so if she keeps at it just think of how much better she can get.
So now? She draws all the time. I often find her at the table in the morning before everyone is up and she is completely in her own little world at the table with pencil in hand, hunched over her latest masterpiece. Her drawings are even starting to develop their own little style. She has all of her own ideas about what is pretty and what is not. She will even watch a movie and then run to the table when it is over and draw her favorite scenes.
Here are some of her latest works. She drew her wedding. I'm keeping this one forever.

8 comments:

The Baker said...

wow, she is really good for 5! you should send in some of her drawings to "The Friend" magazine. just have her add a temple to that wedding picture!

So cute, Jack loves to draw too.

Emily said...

I love them!! I have learned that my kids love pencils because they can put so much more detail.

Raechal said...

seriously, she is really good! thats adorable that she drew her wedding. How fun will that be to get it out and show her on her wedding day. Or when you are planning her wedding...tell her it has to look like this because thats what she wanted when she was 5 :) cute, cute, cute.

becks said...

Wow! Those drawings are so cool! I love all details, like the puffed sleeves on the dresses. Olivia really does know fashion. When she was two, she told me that my shirt "wasn't very cute." So funny!

becks said...

P.S. I hope I'm one of those tall, super skinny girls in the wedding picture :)

Joy said...

Wow Olivia! that is amazing!

Ellen said...

Wow that is a very good drawing. I love how she drew the puffed sleeves and their hands clasped together. I don't even draw that good. She is your little artist. I too would save this picture forever. I would put it in her scrapbook or even laminate it.

Patti said...

wow what a little artist she is. when Chad was two I went to pick him up from the nursery at church and the leader said is this your son, I hesitated and thought why,any way she said he is an artist, I thought yea ok.when he was 13 I bought the people magazine and Jerry Garcia was on the cover Chad went in his bedroom sat at his desk with the magazine and drew the picture just like it looked on the magazine,then I remembered what that lady said and he truly is very much an artist, so you never know.